Though legend has it that touching a pregnant woman’s tummy […]
Though legend has it that touching a pregnant woman’s tummy is good luck, most modern moms agree: Keep your hands off! Here’s what to do and say when uninvited hands reach to rub your belly.
1. Simply declare, “Don’t touch!” in a firm mother-means-it voice. Hey, you’re just practicing.
2. “Shhh, the baby’s sleeping. Please do not disturb.”
3. “Five dollars for a belly rub. Sure you can afford it?”
4. An eye for an eye and a touch for a touch! See how much they like it when you lay your hands on their stomachs.
5. Foul! Signal an out-of-bounds zone by protectively placing your hands over your midsection.
6. Respond to pokes and prods with an immediate “Ouch!” to let them know you certainly can still feel that.
7. “I might throw up.” Any wise man knows to stay away from a nauseous mom-to-be. (Although their wisdom may be in question if they were trying to touch your tummy.)
8. Break into a chorus of “U Can’t Touch This”