As a dietician, blogger and mom, I tend to approach eating during pregnancy in a way that celebrates food both for its flavor and the nourishment it provides mom and baby. Amidst the first trimester […]
As a dietician, blogger and mom, I tend to approach eating during pregnancy in a way that celebrates food both for its flavor and the nourishment it provides mom and baby. Amidst the first trimester energy drain and the onset of “pregnancy brain,” it’s often hard to find the time and motivation to ensure your diet includes delicious foods that meet your prenatal nutrient needs. The goal of the following meal and snack plan is to provide plenty of fuss-free options that pack a healthful punch and allow you to take pleasure in the art of eating. I like to think prenatal food choices are the first examples we set for our child, so eat well, expose your baby to many flavors, and show her that healthy food is important, delicious and worthy of being enjoyed.
• 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese topped with 1/2 cup fresh cut pear
• 1 whole grain English muffin spread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
• Trail mix: Try mixing walnuts with dried cranberries and apricots.
• 1 cup fat-free or soy milk
• Salmon salad wrap: Fill 1 whole-wheat pita with 1/2 can wild salmon, 1/2 cup spinach leaves, 1/4 cup roasted red peppers and 1 tablespoon low-fat plain yogurt or light mayonnaise.
• 1/2 cup lentil soup
• 1 cup chocolate low-fat or soy milk
• 3 ginger snaps
• 4 ounces shredded rotisserie chicken
• 1 baked potato topped with 1 tablespoon light sour cream and 1 tablespoon salsa
• 2 cups sauteed chard
• 1 cup whole grain cereal with 1/2 cup fat-free or soy milk
• 1 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and 1/2 cup fat-free or soy milk
• 1/2 grapefruit
• 1 part-skim mozzarella string cheese
• Tex-Mex style green salad: Toss together 2 cups mixed lettuce leaves, 1 cup black beans, 2 tablespoons sliced black olives, 1/2 medium avocado, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 10 to 15 tortilla chips and 1 tablespoon salsa.
• 1 orange
• 1 small banana spread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
• 1 tablespoon raisins
• 4 ounces pan-seared rainbow trout
• Baked sweet potato fries: Slice 1 large sweet potato into wedges, season with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon; bake at 400