Alright, major confession time. I thought we’d play a fun […]
Alright, major confession time. I thought we’d play a fun game of “What I said I’d never do once I have kids” and the real hard facts. This should make some of you laugh and hopefully not horrify the rest of you.
1. “I’ll never let my child watch TV.” Yes, I have uttered those INSANE words. If I had stuck to them I just don’t think I would have survived the first trimester, a horrendous cold, the first few weeks with a newborn, etc and so forth. Sometimes in this game of parenting, it’s all about survival. Mission accepted.
2. “I’ll never feed my child fast food.” OK, this is a tough one. I’m actually really against fast food. It makes my stomach churn, but I have once or twice let Matilda eat it. Luckily she doesn’t know what any of the chains are called and she NEVER asks for it. Good enough for me.
3. “I’ll never yell at my child in public.” Another tough one guys. I’m such a glutton for criticism. I certainly don’t make a habit of this, but I have let me voice get a little scary in public. Usually for safety reasons, like not wanting my child to get kidnapped or run over.
4. “I’ll never force my child to go shopping.” I’ve worked in retail for years. Literally. 16. I was always appalled by the moms that drug their child around kicking and screaming so that they could shop for clothes. I don’t do it often, but sometimes you HAVE to get out of the house and sometimes you HAVE to try things on. Mostly because dealing with returns is a fate worse than shopping with your kids.
5. “I’ll never drink in front of my kids.” It’s not bad if it’s “juice,” right? Sometimes there is a requirement for a small glass of wine.
6. “I’ll never let my child leave the house looking like a ragamuffin.” No one told me that your child will scream bloody murder when you attempt to brush out tangles and that sometimes fighting with them to change out of their favorite pjs just isn’t worth it. One day they’ll be too embarrassed to walk around like that. Surely. Also, if I can be frank I think it’s pretty darn cute.
7. “I’ll never lose my temper.” Also words uttered before I was tested to my absolute limit. My gut usually tells me to walk away and breathe before I get too worked up. Thankfully.
8. “I’ll never make my child’s picture my profile picture.” Guilty as charged. Love those two. However, I think maintaining a strong personal identity displays confidence and individuality to my girls. I want them to know that I am their mama and I adore them, but I’m also Lesley.
9. “I’ll never stop dating my husband once we have kids.” Oh heavens. This one is challenging, but so important and we’re definitely slacking in this department. Babysitters aren’t cheap but it’s important and worth the effort. Happy marriage, happy babies.
10. “I’ll never stop caring about what I look like.” This is an area I am struggling in big time right now. My wardrobe consists of v-neck tees and frumpy denim. I want my girls to remember me looking stylish and put together. Again, something I’m striving for.
Have you eaten any of your words? Let’s dish.