Getting svelte after baby (plus a giveaway!)
Written by: P&N August 24 2011 Soon after delivering her […]
Soon after delivering her first baby, Kristen Horler set out to find a way to get her postpartum body back in shape. However, after searching high and low, she came up short on options that didn't involve gym fees or the added stress of finding childcare for her babe.
That's when she decided to start Baby Boot Camp. Designed as a program you can bring your baby to, Baby Boot Camp integrates your baby and your stroller into a workout that helps you tone down and get healthy after pregnancy. Workouts focus on cardiovascular health as well as strength training. All instructors with Baby Boot Camp are required to have one or more current group exercise or personal trainer certification from a nationally recognized organization such as the American Council on Exercise, Aerobics and Fitness Association of America or the American College of Sports Medicine, and the routines they develop all fall under the guidelines from the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the American Council on Exercise.
At her webinar on July 26, Kristen shared a few tips for turning your focus toward fitness after baby:
1. It's important to make fitness a part of your daily routine.
• Improves your mood
• Helps manage your weight
• Promotes better sleep
• Boosts your energy level
2. Incorporate quick exercises into your day that can be performed anywhere.
• 10 push ups on your bathroom counter before your brush your teeth
• 10 squats while you are waiting for your toast or coffee
• 20 lunges around your living room
• Count your steps
3. Pay attention to what you eat
• Lean protein (beans, legumes, chicken) should be consumed during post-workout meal to help muscle repair and recovery.
• Calcium (yogurt) to keep bones strong
• Complex carbs are vital for a pre-workout routine, providing extended energy
• Omega-3 fatty acids (salmon) for a healthy heart and nervous system
With hundreds of locations around the country, there's likely to be one in your area. It's a great way to meet other moms, work your body and spend time with your little one in one fell swoop. Check out their website to see if there might be a program near you!
Plus, Baby Boot Camp is now in partnership with CalNaturale Svelte all-natural protein shakes. CalNaturale Svelte is a sustained energy protein drink that is made with 16g of organic protein from fresh organic soymilk, along with organic complex carbohydrates. Svelte is tested to be low-glycemic and has only 9 grams of sugar per full bottle. It’s also a good source of fiber and is dairy-free and gluten-free. Plus, the packaging is great as a little mood booster to put you in the right frame of mind.
Today, this stellar health and wellness pair would like to offer the readers of pnmag.com a $500 prize package full of workout goodies! One lucky fitness-minded mama will receive a gift set that includes:
• 1 Wahoo Fitness Run Pack
• 1 Pair of FILA ToningPants
• 1 Case of CalNaturale Svelte shakes
• 1 CalNaturale Svelte Gym Tote
• 1 Copy of Kristen Horler’s Book
• 1 First Baby Boot Camp Class Free Coupon
• Goody Workout Headbands
It's the perfect postpartum pick-me-up to get you on the right track toward a healthier you!Click here to enter. Entries will be accepted until Monday, August 29 and the winner will be announced here in an update.
UPDATE:Contest is now closed. Congratulations to the winner, Corleone A. of Canton, OH!