Our darling: The birth story of Poppy

By Published On: September 15th, 2014Tags: ,

It all started Saturday night (January 18) … David and I had been doing everything we could to try to bring on labor for the past few days, so after having a super spicy dinner we decided to go out to DQ for blizzards. On our way, I started to think I might be having a contraction. As we sat in DQ, chowing down, they continued coming every 20 minutes. So, we went home and watched a movie. Then, they started getting closer together. At midnight, we called the hospital and asked when we should come in. They told us to come when contractions were three to four minutes apart and lasting for a minute. So, by 10 a.m. on Sunday, we had our bags packed and made our way up to the maternity ward only to be told that I was 1 centimeter dilated and sent home. We were disappointed and slightly embarrassed, walking back downstairs carrying three large bags packed with blankets, pillows and even a lamp.

The contractions continued to get stronger and closer together all of Sunday, until they were two minutes apart. We went back that night, very ready to have baby at this point, and I was still sitting at 1 centimeter. Long story short … this continued until Monday night. I held out as long as I could; once the contractions were too much, we went back to the hospital. They told us that I still wasn’t far enough along and that we could go back home if we wanted. By this point, I was breaking down pretty hard, and I looked at the nurse with very desperate eyes and told her that I realllllly wanted to stay! They sorted stuff out and set us up in our room. Hallelujah! (I’m not going to lie; I had no idea how painful labor was going to be. I was never scared to have a baby, but to be honest I’m slightly terrified for the next one!)

They gave me laughing gas and morphine, and I was able to sleep for a few hours. (I planned to have a drug free labor … but stuff happens!) The contractions continued to get more intense, but I was still not far enough along. They suggested an epidural. When I was making a birth plan, I said there was no way that I wanted an epidural; it freaked me out, and I wanted my body to be able to do what it wanted to do all by itself. However, at this point in labor, it sounded like the most wonderful thing! I even told the nurse at one point that the anesthesiologist better hurry up because my morphine wasn’t doing anything! (I wasn’t quite myself.) The memory of the epidural setting in was pure bliss in my mind. I asked David to open the blinds in our room, and we watched the sunrise over the ocean completely pain free.


A few hours later, after my body had been able to finally relax, I was ready to push. I pushed for four hours with so much help from David and our doula, Sarah. I seriously couldn’t have done it without them. They were so hands on, holding me and helping me the entire time. Sarah helped to turn Poppy allowing her to come out naturally. I got to pull Poppy out right onto my chest, and she stayed there for about 45 minutes. It was one of the most insane moments! I was so happy to finally hold my girl! Poppy darling was born at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21, healthy, 7 pounds, 4 ounces.

P.S. I really wanted to do something with my placenta but knew I would not be able to eat it! So, I decided to get it encapsulated. I definitely recommend this to all you preggos! The girl I used came and picked it up from the hospital right away and dropped the pills at our house the next morning when we were home. I’ve felt great since being home, have a great amount of energy, have been healing well, and I definitely think the placenta plays a big part in that. 
She also dried the umbilical cord into the shape of a heart. To be honest with you, when I saw that on the site, I thought it was kind of weird and cheesy. However, when I unwrapped it, I burst into tears. It is so special to me, and I’m so glad I have that keepsake.

Send us your birth story! Whether you had a home birth, hospital birth, 37-hour labor or emergency C-section, we’d love to read the tale of your little one’s grand entrance. Write up your birth story (click here for tips on getting started) and email it, along with a few photos, to birthstory@pnmag.com. We’ll share it on our Birth Day blog and may even print it in an upcoming issue!

By Bethany Menzel