A wonderful surprise: The birth of Lorenzo

By Published On: September 26th, 2016Tags: ,

Our baby’s due date was May 20, and we decided from the very beginning to keep the gender a surprise!

After a full weekend of working out and a date night cooking class at Sur La Table with my husband, I started having strong contractions Sunday night and into early Monday morning. I barely slept as I rode the wave of each contraction and timed them at 8 to 12 minutes apart.

Upon getting out of bed and taking a brief nap on the couch, I decided I could muster the energy to go into work for the day. I managed as the intensity of my contractions had lessened and the timing had lengthened. I was sure that the week would be a long one—I even thought I could go to the gym that night and work out! Thankfully, I decided to just come home and rest because my contractions became stronger and more frequent once again that night.

As I tried to get comfortable by changing positions and sitting on a exercise ball, we began timing my contractions. After realizing they were five minutes apart, I had to use the bathroom and found myself having diarrhea and then noticed discharge with “bloody show.” Thanks to the childbirth education class we took a few months back I knew that meant it was go time.

We cleaned up the house, I took a shower, and we leisurely headed to the hospital. I was so afraid they would turn me away because I wasn’t dilated yet.

image2 (1)

We got to the hospital around 10 p.m. In triage they told me that I was dilated to a 4 and I was being admitted. I was so happy!

I immediately asked for an epidural, and they said they would get it ordered for me. My husband took on the responsibility of calling our family; our parents and siblings showed up within 30 minutes to be a part of the experience with us.

I was taken back to labor and delivery and was given an epidural shortly after (around 11:30 p.m.). My dilation was checked again, and I was already at a 7. Our family hung out with us in the delivery room as I progressed throughout the early morning. I sat at an 8 for several hours. Just as I was being checked again at around 5 a.m., my water broke, and I was told I was a 10! Woohoo!

The nurses kept asking if I felt any pressure and then told me we would start practice pushing at around 6 a.m. I was nervous as I did not “know” how to push, and that’s exactly what I told them. Our family left the room with the exception of my parents, and I began my practice pushes with my husband holding one leg and the nurse holding the other.


The nurse at one point said she could see the head and asked if we wanted to feel it. We did!

At 6:45 a.m. my doctor arrived, and we began the real pushing. Our little baby was having a hard time coming out. At the time we did not know why, but it turns out the baby’s hand was up by the face. I pushed several times and the doctor asked if I wanted to keep going or wanted an episiotomy. I kept saying I wanted to push again. At 7:29 a.m. on Tuesday, May 17, out came our little boy—a wonderful surprise! Lorenzo Julien weighed 6 pounds, 8 ounces and measured 19 inches long.

My labor was a wonderful experience, and it was great having our family with us through Lorenzo’s arrival. There was so much excitement and love in the room. I had great nurses and an amazing doctor, who was encouraging and positive. My doctor even asked if we wanted her to say a prayer, and we did with Lorenzo in my arms and our family surrounding us.

Send us your birth story! Whether you had a home birth, hospital birth, 37-hour labor or emergency C-section, we’d love to read the tale of your little one’s grand entrance. Write up your birth story (click here for tips on getting started) and email it, along with a few photos, to birthstory@pnmag.com. We’ll share it on our Birth Day blog and may even print it in an upcoming issue!