“I can hardly count the ways that being a mother has broadened my writing, deepened my connection to all other women, and galvanized my commitment to the Earth and its fate. As difficult as it is, sometimes, to find a way to be a writer while taking care of children, I think it would be harder to be a writer who has never known what it means to care for a child.”
Whether you’re expecting your first baby or just gave birth to your fifth, you’ve no doubt spent some time reflecting on your role as mom—and we’d be willing to bet you have something to say about the experience.
From the sweet and touching to the funny and unforgettable, share your sentiments about this journey called motherhood in Pregnancy & Newborn’s Annual Essay Contest.
- One first-place winner will be awarded a $300 cash prize.
- Two runners-up will be awarded $100 cash prizes.
- The first-place winner and runners-up will have their essays published in the December issue of Pregnancy & Newborn.
To enter, submit your 1,000- to 1,500-word essay on motherhood (preferably attached in a Microsoft Word document) to email@example.com with the words “Essay Contest” in the subject line by July 31, 2014.
Click below to read last year’s winning essays …
- “A stitch in time” by Christy Rippel
- “Unexpected beginnings” by Janine Kovac
- “We Cry” by Tricia Mirchandani
All entries will be judged by Pregnancy & Newborn editors, and winners will be contacted via email by September 1, 2014. Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. EST on May 1, 2014, and runs through 11:59 p.m. EST on July 31, 2014. Contest is open to legal residents of the United States age 19 or older at time of entry. Void where prohibited by law.