No matter your insurance, tucked away within the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is a clause that is revolutionizing breastfeeding for new and expectant mothers. Now more than ever you have support and services at your disposal, and it can change the way you make breastfeeding decisions.
The ACA and you
Navigating the ACA can be intimidating, but here’s what you need to know …
- Health insurance plans must provide breastfeeding support, counseling and equipment for the duration of your breastfeeding journey.
- You are eligible for these benefits while you are pregnant and after the baby is born.
- Each insurance plan provides different coverage options. However, if you have a private insurance carrier or commercial insurer, you will likely be covered for a new breast pump along with breastfeeding support and counseling.
Taking advantage of benefits
Get started early! Just like you have a birth plan, you will need a breastfeeding plan. Breast pumps are perfect for moms who have difficulties breastfeeding, plan to return to work or simply are looking for more flexibility.
- Understand your insurance benefits. Each plan is different, and it’s sometimes tricky to decipher the types of breast pumps your plan covers. If you need guidance, a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider can handle the insurance paperwork and phone calls for you free of charge.
- Do your research. There are countless breast pumps on the market. Make sure your lifestyle and breastfeeding goals are taken into consideration when vetting potential breast pumps. If your insurance covers only a base model, ask the DME if it offers upgrade pumps and if it accepts health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending arrangement (FSA) plans.
- Qualify through insurance. Not all breast pumps are created equally, and the same can be said for DME providers. Read consumer reviews and community message boards to find a DME that offers exceptional customer service and a wide variety of pump options. Then call or qualify online.
This article was created in partnership with Aeroflow.