If you’re suffering from heartburn, try the following tips courtesy of Beth Schorr-Lesnick, M.D., Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and member of the American College of Gastroenterology Public Relations committee.
- Elevate the head of the bed
- Eat small, frequent meals throughout the day and avoid eating late at night
- Avoid caffeine, citrus, chocolate, peppermint, and tomato-based and fatty foods
- Try chewing gum (cinnamon flavored works well) or sucking on hard candy
- Antacids containing magnesium or calcium are fine, but avoid those containing sodium bicarbonate. If none of these tips help, talk to your ob or midwife about prescription drugs that might offer further relief.