Actress, children’s clothing designer and mom of two Soleil Moon Frye (you may know her from her role as Punky Brewster in the ’80s television sitcom of the same name) adds author to her repertoire with the release of her new book Let’s Get This Party Started! Celebrations for You and Your Kids to Create Together (Stewart, Tabori & Chang, $23). Below, she shares five tips for a successful, stress-free soiree.
1. It is never too early to start celebrating with your little ones. Have fun but don’t stress—remember, she is only turning 1 (and probably won’t remember whether you made her cake from scratch or picked it up at the grocery the day of the party).
2. Make the festivities fun for the whole family. Siblings can often feel left out when so much attention is on the littlest one so make them a part of the gathering.
3. Blowing out the candles can be intimidating, especially if you have a lot of attendees singing “Happy Birthday.” It’s not unusual for the guest of honor to feel scared about being the center of attention and even the friendliest child can become shy in an overwhelming moment—remember to be sensitive.
4. Less is more when you’re turning 1! Our daughters were always more interested in the cardboard boxes than the presents that came in them. Consider introducing a charity component to teach your child to give back.
5. Music always helps parents and kids get into the partying mood. We love to set out instruments and make noise together. It’s a great party activity for the little ones.