We could talk about the benefits of a good bouncer all day—most moms will tell you it's one of the few baby items they really couldn't live without. But what you really want to know is what makes the Svan seat different from all the others out there, right?
So here you go—the top ten reasons I think the Svan seat rocks (and yes, I would be willing to spend my own money on one, so that tells you something!).
1. Good design. From the sleek shape to the chic wooden base, the Svan bouncer is perfect for the style-conscious mom. And let’s be honest—pretty much everything in our lives is all about the baby, so it’s nice to have something that we genuinely enjoy looking at hanging around the living room.
2. Natural bounce. No, this bouncer doesn’t have a vibrating option, but I don't think it will be missed. This seat allows your baby to bounce to his own rhythm—once he’s big enough to wiggle and kick, it will respond to his movement with gentle bouncing. Until then, you can get him going with a soft push of your foot.
3. Ergonomic backrest. Proper support for baby’s developing body is an important feature in a bouncer, but one that isn’t mentioned all that often. The Svan’s bentwood backrest ensures that your baby is getting the support he needs, whether he’s 8 pounds or 20.
4. Non-slip rubber bottom. Several years back, I had a bouncy seat for my daughter that would wiggle on its metal footing bars when she started kicking up a storm—not a good thing. No chance of that happening with this sturdy number.
5. Fully adjustable backrest. Need to recline the seat while baby’s sleeping? No problem. Want to sit him up straighter for feeding? Done. More bouncers should offer an adjustable seat. I don’t know how I lived without one last time!
6. Flat fold for easy storage and transport. Perhaps my very favorite feature of the Svan bouncer. Not only can you tuck it away easily into a corner or closet when it’s not in use, but you can also toss it in the back of your car and take it with you wherever you go without monopolizing too much precious trunk space (you have the stroller and travel bed for that!).
7. DIY toy loops. Rather than having a toy bar, you can mix things up with the toy loops. The ability to add your own toys rather than showing baby the same old spinning lion every day is a nice feature, in my opinion.
8. Color options. Seven, to be exact, from orange to lavender to chocolate. It’s nice to not be stuck with the royal blue jungle pattern. Really. (Oh, and that fabric? Machine washable on delicate, air dry.)
9. Quality. It truly is a well-made product, and will last easily through more than one child. Sure it’s a little pricier than some others, but you know the old saying: You get what you pay for. If you want a product that is made to last, you’re typically going to have to shell out some cash.
10. Sweet simplicity. The Svan bouncer is simple, both in looks and function—and when your house is being taken over by cutesy animals and primary colors, that’s a good thing.
There are only a few things I don’t love, one being the button closure (which isn’t bad once you get used to it, but it is a little tricky to figure out). I'm also not a huge fan of the stationary canopy. And finally, I think that it might take a little bit of time before a baby is strong enough to bounce himself. However, since the weight limit is 30 pounds and the seat is made wide to accommodate larger babies, I think that Svan probably intended for it to be used with older babies and not just in the immobile infant period, for which many other bouncers are solely designed.
Overall, I have to say that I truly like the Svan seat. The pros outweigh the cons by a long shot.
Buy it: Modern Nursery